Course Description and Objectives
The course deals with introduction to materials theory; objectives of materials management; purchasing principles including such elements as description of quality; determination and control of quantity; make or buy decisions; selection of suppliers; organization of purchasing activities; transportation of purchases; materials handling, inventory control models such as Economic Order Quantity (EOQ) and Economic Production Quantity (EPQ); materials demand forecasting, Materials Requirement Planning (MRP); Just In Time (JIT) system; stores management and warehousing.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Know the integrated materials management functions in manufacturing organizations
- Appreciate the interdependency of departments having relation with materials department
- Conduct inventory analysis
- Calculate economic order quantity (EOQ)
- Forecast demand
- Do Material Requirement Planning (MRP)
- Be familiar with different inventory and warehouse management practices
Instructional Methods: Lecture, assignment, industry visit (if possible), discussion, and case analysis or problem solving.
Course Requirements and Classroom Management Policy:
- Examinations/Quizzes: There will be two in-class examinations (mid-term and final). Examinations will consist of a mix of objective and essay questions. Unannounced quizzes will be given throughout the semester (sorry, no make ups!).
- Participation: You are expected to actively participate in all classroom discussions.
- Attendance: You are expected to regularly attend classes as scheduled. Be on time; late comer may not be allowed in the classroom and it will affect his/her grade.
- Assignments are to be turned in as announced. Late assignments maybe accepted with a reduced grade.
- Mobile phones are banned from the classroom. If you happen to have one, it must be turned off (or silenced), and out of sight, for the duration of the class