In this Unit, you will read a passage on ‘Life Skills’. You will discuss what life skills incorporate
and the importance of learning them with your partners. Understanding the concept, you will
engage in activities that help you develop your speaking, reading and writing abilities. Besides,
you will consolidate the note-making skill you have been introduced in ‘Communication Skills
The grammar lesson focuses on ‘Active’ and ‘Passive’ voices. I hope you adequately know about
them, but at this level we will briefly review what they are and you will focus much on applying
them in oral and written reports. The knowledge of the active and passive voices helps you to
present oral report and write academic reports such as lab reports. As Natural Science students,
for instance, you do experiments and your experimental reports require the use of passive voices
in most cases. So, the study helps you to use accurate language forms in your reports. Social
Science students also need the study of the voices to write good reports.
What Will You Learn?
- identify different components of ‘life skills’ so that they can actively apply them in life;
- become successful in living a community successfully and endeavor to execute skills to
- solve problems that may occur in their community;
- develop their speaking, listening, reading and writing abilities in different areas including ‘life skills’
- know the ‘voices’ in grammar and apply them in academic writing to enhance their
- writing and reporting quality.
UNIT One : LIFE SKILLS
Unit One Lesson
Lesson 1: Communicative English